Hello! I’m Paula Wethington of Monroe, Michigan. This is my professional portfolio and blog site. My career is officially 30+ years as a newspaper reporter, but my talent and niche is online content and social media.
I have nearly 20 years experience on a personal level and 11 years experience on a professional level in online media. With that experience and quite a bit of professional training along the way, the social media accounts I host, co-host or advise on tend to perform better in terms of fan numbers and community engagement than those that don’t.
Much of this experience came from a variety of projects and assignments for The Monroe News, a daily newspaper in Monroe, Mich., and its weekly publication, Bedford Now.
For example, the 2016 Best of GateHouse awards honored The Monroe News in third place in its division for Social Media Excellence. This was our first social media award and we competed in a division that included staffs two or three times our size. I host the newsroom’s Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram accounts; co-host our Facebook accounts; and assembled the contest portfolio.
You may also have heard of me as the Monroe on a Budget blogger. It was the most successful blog hosted by our newsroom, resulting in national rankings and media interviews during its run from 2007-2015. At its peak, the site had over 30,000 page views a month.
In addition, my accomplishments and efforts include:
- Grew The Monroe News’ Twitter account to over 16,000 fans. The vast majority of those people are from our geographic area as shown by Twitter analytics and the content they respond to.
- Built up over 9,000 followers on my main Twitter, despite a rebranding of the account’s name and mission after my personal finance site ended in 2015.
- Grew the Twitter account for Bedford Now, a weekly publication of The Monroe News, from 285 fans from when I took it over in 2015 to over 1,700. The number alone is significant as the target audience is in only two zip codes.
- Content and community management duties for multiple newsroom and personal brand Facebook pages since 2010.
- Earned over 111,000 organic reach on a post I made in May 2017 on a page that had 31,000 fans. It was a breaking news bulletin, which fed the interest. But this also was a branded graphic that carried our logo and website to everyone who saw it.
- Earned over 1,000 new fans in two weeks via organic reach and community engagement on a special project page I ran in spring 2014.
- Presented timing recommendations and applied behind-the-scenes strategies that contributed to a higher percentage of new fans on The Monroe News’ Facebook page during 2016 as compared to 2015.
- My personal finance blog Facebook page had over 1,500 fans when the blog project was done.
Other social accounts
- Doubled the fan base in two years working The Monroe News Instagram account so that the fan base is now over 3,800.
- Launched and ran The Monroe News Pinterest since launch in 2011, to include adding branded cover images and a showcase gallery in 2016.
- Created video content for my own and newsroom accounts via Facebook Live, Lumen5, Vine, Tout and YouTube.
- Experienced with third party tools such as Tweetdeck, Storify, Post Planner and Hootsuite for curating content, analyzing results, scheduling posts and monitoring social conversations.
- Created hundreds of images with file art and stock art via Canva and Snappa for use on both the newsroom’s and my personal websites and social media.
- Have made content and timing recommendations using Google Analytics, WordPress analytics and social media dashboards.
- Experienced in content management systems and calendar databases such as WordPress, Ellington, Saxotech, Helios and EvieSays.
Marketing and communications
- Experience I have that is typically considered internal communications and marketing duties include editing a company newsletter; writing promotional copy for social media postings; handling committee recording secretary duties; giving radio interviews; and making presentations at public appearances.
- Writing awards include third place breaking news and first place lifestyles from Associated Press Society of Ohio.
- Photography awards include several county fair photography ribbons.
- Blogging awards include the 2014 Green Apple Award from Monroe Bank & Trust on behalf of the Monroe on a Budget project.
See what I can do
- Look up my resume / CV page or my LinkedIn.
- Look over my skill set and see samples of my social media work.
- See the list of social media management and marketing classes I’ve worked on.
- Read an award-winning breaking news article.
- Read one of my favorite feature articles.
- Read one of my favorite multi-media journalist pieces.
- Reach out at my email contact form.